Construction of the present synagogue building begins.
Recognizing the community’s need for a conveniently located cemetery, the synagogue created Westchester Hills.
Rabbi Stephen S. Wise founds the Jewish Institute of Religion to provide advanced education leading to ordination for Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Jews.
The Free Synagogue’s 500 members celebrated Rosh Hashanah at Carnegie Hall, and a number of brownstones were purchased on West 68th Street in 1911 as the site of a permanent home for the synagogue.
The Free Synagogue establishes a social service department, the first of its kind.
Rabbi Stephen S. Wise and more than 100 of his followers establish a “free” synagogue and religious school.